Is Babywearing Wearing Out Its Welcome?
If you are not up to date on the latest parental trends for one reason or another, you are not alone. One such trend which has been around for several years now is babywearing. Simply put, babywearing is using a specialized sling or other device to carry your baby close to your body. It is usually done when one is out and about.
As with everything, there are pros and cons to this latest parenting fad, for lack of a better term. Every baby is different and just because one baby may enjoy the feeling of being tucked away in a sling, another may rebel and not take it in stride. Listed below are five pros and five cons to a technique which has steadily gained popularity over the past few years.
1) It keeps you and your baby intimately close, fostering a secure environment, while allowing you to bond with your little one.
2) Carrying your baby via a sling allows you to keep your hands free so you are able to carry more things...for baby, of course.
3) It allows you to be in very close proximity to your baby and, therefore, be able to better respond to baby's needs.
4) A "ride" in a babywearing sling helps to soothe a toddler who is feeling anxiety ridden or is just having a bad emotional day.
5) It helps to keep baby content and calm, thus boosting the parent's confidence and keeps those moments where their patience is tested to a minimum.
Learn more about the incredible benefits of wearing your baby at Mom Loves Best
1) Since you and your baby will be in extremely close proximity, if baby's diaper has a wardrobe malfunction and springs a leak, you will be the first to know.
2) If you are one of those hip and fashion conscience new parents, there are not too many babywearing clothes on the market which will keep you looking stylish.
3) Some babies may not enjoy the restrictive feeling of being in a sling for hours. After all, not all babies are created equal.
4) During the winter season, it may be difficult to find a babywearing coat which actually fits.
5) You may end up pulling a Ryan Reynolds, who was shown in a recent photo not properly using a babywearing device. The babywearing instructions cannot be any more difficult to understand than a Hollywood script.
Although the babywearing technique has, for the most part, received positive feedback, it is still up to the individual parent to decide if it is best for the baby. There are several factors which have to be considered, such as temperament of baby, climate, babywearing clothes and parent's ability to pull it off, prior to deciding if babywearing is for you and baby.